Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Comfort Cookies

Some people might think that this is my glorified recipe file, but really I like to share a good thing when I find it.  And nothing is "gooder" than food.

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons.  One of the best things about autumn is the wonderful comfort food that comes with the cold weather.  Today we baked up some Pumpkin Chocolate Comfort Cookies.  I got the basic recipe from Allrecipes.com, but of course made it my own.  I'm sure that I remember there used to be a Weight Watcher recipe like this that used rasins, applesauce and sweetnlow.   What follows is the non- Weight Watcher recipe.  It is more cake-like than a traditional cookie.


INGREDIENTS 
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or whatever nut you have on hand.  I used pecans.
  • 4 drops red food coloring (optional, makes it look more pumpkin-y.
  • DIRECTIONSCombine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.Add vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts.Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 13 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.  Because of our altitude, I had to leave it in longer than the directions called for.  Make sure yours are not over  baked but also not gooey in the middle.  These are autumnal perfection when served with hot cider.


1 comment:

  1. Hi -
    I really liked your blog.
    Please stop by our homeschool blog sometime.

    - Michelle (a homeschool mom of 6 )

    ReplyDelete